Principal Ecologist – Christchurch
Be part of protecting NZ’s unique biodiversity and environment for future generations
About Ecology New Zealand
Ecology NZ is a newly established New Zealand-based ecological consultancy. It is a privately-owned company, specialising in ecological assessments, monitoring, management and compliance. Our areas of expertise support our passion to protect New Zealand’s unique biodiversity and environment for future generations, while providing for sustainable growth and development.
About the role
As an ecological consultancy, Ecology NZ presents a unique, exciting and fun opportunity for an established Principal Ecologist or Senior Ecologist looking to take the next step, to help shape a growing team, as well as their own career. This is a permanent full-time role based in Christchurch. The role involves a mix of technical and team leadership, project management, technical work and business development. For the right person, the mix will be flexible and is likely to change over time as the team and client base grows. The leadership aspects of the role will include both technical and project leadership as well as business development in support of the business’s strategic objectives for growth and diversification of its client base.
Involvement in the preparation and review of accurate quotes, and high-quality reports, proposals and tenders will be required.
Obtaining new and repeat business through maintaining and developing internal and external client relationships will be an ongoing expectation of the role.
During the initial growth phase, it is anticipated that the person in this role will have some involvement in recruitment and business development either with direct involvement or in an advisory capacity to the Ecology NZ Manager and or Director.
The technical aspects of the role include:
• Delivery of terrestrial and aquatic ecological consultancy services
• Fieldwork, data analysis and reporting,
• RMA / consenting advice to public and private sector clients
• Keeping up to date with advances in ecological sciences and continued professional development.
Key Skills, Experience and Qualifications
This position is an ideal opportunity for an established Senior or Principal ecologist with 10+ years of experience to step into a varied and challenging role with opportunity for leadership as the team and business grow.
We are seeking a self-motivated individual who can demonstrate all or most of the following:
• Tertiary qualification in Ecology, Environmental Science, Biological Science or related field
• Post-graduate qualification in a relevant specialist field
• Working knowledge of current practices in ecological assessment and management in New Zealand including Stream Ecological Valuation (SEV), electrofishing, MCI, lizards, bats and vegetation, etc.
• Good understanding of the relevant aspects of the Resource Management Act
• Strong communication, data analysis and report writing skills
• An existing client base and project management skills will be major advantages
If this sounds like the career you desire, then we want to hear from you. To apply please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, before applications close on 29 March 2019.